Wednesday, January 10, 2007

much better than cow urine

I am right now eating a bowl of blueberries, sliced banana, fresh California strawberries, raspberries and Greek yogurt. The stars of the medley are the blueberries and Greek yogurt. Are you kiddin' me?? How do they get that yogurt so thick and creamy?? Why would anybody eat any other kind of yogurt? It's like the difference between. . . oh, i dunno. . . I'm too tired to think up some clever analogy. It's just a really big difference, ok? Huge.

I have eaten a bowl of blueberries & plain Greek yogurt with other scrumptious fruits every night now for 12 nights in a row. I'm an addict. It's cool, though. Now that I'm settling into singlehood, it gives me something to look forward to every night. It's not quite as good as snuggling in bed, but it beats acquiring a cat. (not really too crazy about that whole litter box routine....)

This fruit & yogurt thing started when I was reading another blog, and they mentioned SuperFoods Rx and liking the sound of food that is super, I followed the link to Amazon, whereupon the book leapt into my shopping cart (clearly I am too tired to be blogging tonight...my self-edit button has already gone to sleep!) and bought itself before I had any say in the matter!

So, what could I do but read the darned thing once it arrived? One of these days I'll tell you about the first diet I was put on (I was 4) and then maybe the second one ( I was 8 ) and so on. Maybe I'll even let you in on the cow urine diet (I was 13). But not until I can trust you enough to not feel sorry for me for being chocolate-deprived at such a young age.

Anyway.....back to Superfoods Rx. I love it. I am cooking again. Banished from the freezer are all those little boxes full of almost-food! My pots and pans have been dusted off and the pantry is full of beans and whole grains, soups, vegetables and fresh fruits. And I love it. I mean, I love it. I love it because there's not a word in that whole book about what I CAN'T HAVE!!!! There's just a list of 14 foods exceptionally high in nutrients, and a bunch of stuff about what nice things they are willing and waiting to do for me if I eat them.

And that's making me pretty happy.


Sooooooooooo, I've got the list on my fridge of all the superstars. Next to that is a chart I whipped up so's I can check 'em off as I eat 'em. I aim for 10 of the 14 each day. In the 12 days, the least I've checked off in one day is 8. Most days I make it to 11. I feel really good. It seems the body senses the difference between a spinach salad with wild salmon with cauliflower with sweet potato dinner and a Lean Cuisine.


Go online. Oh wait...I guess you are online....well ok then, go to Trader Joe's online. Find the nearest store. Drive there as soon as possible. Buy a lot of blueberries and Greek yogurt. If you're single, buy even more.

5 comments:

Ann Kullberg said...

I give up!

Uncle.


How do you know when I've posted something new???

Folks...one of you has to help me out here. I can now track how many people read my blog each day. When I don't post for a while, the numbers go down. When I put up a new post, suddenly...WHAM! Lots of folks come flocking. How are you doing that?

(and who came up with "uncle" as short-hand for surrender, anyway????)

Making A Mark said...

This sounds like my sort of diet!

You need to get yourself a feedreader. (Ironic huh - feedreader as a comment in a food post!)

Feed readers are an essential accessory for blogging. You add in all the blog URLs for the blogs you want to follow and sit and wait......every time you log into your feed reader it can tell tell you who's got a new post (although that does depend on whether you mark the option to only show new posts).

You can try any number of free to download and use feed readers. I used to use Bloglines until it ran into a problem and wouldn't show me any Blogger images. I now use Google Reader which can be excessively temperamental at times - but does show images.

Ann Kullberg said...

THANK you, Katherine!!!

Took a look and I really like the Google Reader...and the mystery is now solved.

Thanks bunches (of blueberries)!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful info Ann, I borrowed the book from local library and its just amazing how much options even vegans like me can have. :)

Ann Kullberg said...

It's amazing, isn't it, Ranjini?! I've learned so much and can't imagine how I stood frozen dinners day after day. I can honestly say I've thoroughly and completely enjoyed every meal I've had in the last 3 weeks.

My favorite is a Beans & Rice dish I've concocted that incorporates 6 of the 14 superfoods. I think I could eat it every day for lunch forever...tomatoes and spinach and orange bell pepper and cayenne jazz it up.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the book, too! :-)